It is located on the European Road E574 (DN 73), 11 km from Câmpulung to Brașov, on Mateiaș Hill.
Here in the Mateiaș area, the Nămăiești Group – led by General Traian Găiseanu – consisting of the 22nd and 12th Infantry Divisions, managed to withstand a clearly superior and well-prepared superior enemy, between September 25 / October 8 and November 10 / November 23. 1916. Through the battles fought here, the advance of the Central Powers towards the Romanian Plain was stopped, but due to the breakthrough of the front on Jiu, the soldiers of the 2 divisions were ordered to retreat – undefeated – on November 16/29, 1916, towards Târgoviște.
The mausoleum was built between 1928-1935, according to the plans of the architects Dumitru Ionescu-Berechet and State Baloșin, by the builder De Nicolo. Albești limestone was mainly used in construction.